Saturday, April 20, 2013

Evolution of a Logo: Step 2 - Digital Roughs

After going over my sketches with my instructor, I was able to progress further and finally develop some digital roughs taken from the thumbnail sketches I created. I did run into a bit of an issue which was having to change the name of the product from "Seven" to "Sin". Even though this proved to be a minor issue, I didn't let it affect my inspiration much. I was still able to keep my "S" idea but after taking it to a digital format, I'm not sure that I like it as much. I think I may be leaning more towards a word mark rather than a monogram due to the overall appeal of the design that's in my head.

Below are my digital roughs for my product line's logo. I tried to keep some variation between them. Once I show these to my instructor to get a second opinion of them, I will finally be able to develop a final version of the logo and switch gears to designing the labels for the energy drinks!

Rough 1 - "S"


Above is the "S" that I had mentioned before. It has some demon horns and a swirly body that forms into a demon tail. Honestly, I think it looked better on paper. If I choose to go with this logo then I'm going to have to tweak it a lot. I think it's just too cutesy for the product and doesn't support the overall design that is in my head. If I could make this logo look a little more sinister by creating some dynamic angles with the "S", it may be salvageable.

Rough 2 - Nail


Above is the Nail variation of my word mark logo. I am calling it a nail because the "i" in sin resembles one. I have produced three concepts for this logo. The first one has a pitchfork as the "i", the second one has a pitchfork going through the word mark, and the third one has pitchforks framing the word mark. Overall, this is a little better than the "S" described earlier but I still feel that this logo isn't quite up to par with what I want to do. 

Rough 3 - Swoop


Above is the third concept in my series of logos. This one is called "Swoop" due to the "S"'s characteristics. I think that this word mark is the strongest of the three logos that I have created. Again, the "i" is a pitchfork to keep with the overall theme of sins. I think that I like the second variation of this logo with the elongated "i". I think that it will work well with the concept that's in my head.


That's all I have so far. Feedback is appreciated, so feel free to comment on which logo is your favorite of the three concepts that are shown. After I get some feedback from my instructor I will be moving on to the label design for the product which means that it's time to do some research on potential containers. I'm thinking about going with a classic bottle of flask. I will also need to draft out a creative brief as well as a style sheet and inspiration board which will be seen in my blog as soon as it's finished. So that's something you guys can look forward to.

One last thing, I may have more digital roughs of the logo depending on what my instructor says.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment